Being energy efficient means being green—in more ways than one! When you optimize the energy efficiency of your household appliances, you help the environment and save money at the same time. Here are some top tips for reducing your energy costs and your carbon footprint.
Maintain and Clean Your Appliances
Keeping your appliances in good condition isn’t just about looks. It’s also about how efficiently they function. Here are some easy ways to optimize energy use across various home appliances:
- Clean the lint trap on your dryer after every load—your clothes will dry more quickly with good air circulation.
- Repair broken or damaged seals on your refrigerator or freezer so they don’t have to work too hard to keep things cool.
- Regularly defrost manual-defrost freezers (usually before the ice buildup reaches more than 1/4 inch) so that excess frost doesn’t take up extra energy.
When you keep your appliances in good condition, they’ll look great and will work more efficiently. It’s a win-win all around.
Make Small Changes
Making a few minor adjustments to how you use your home appliances can add up to big energy savings over time. Some easy ways to increase the energy efficiency of your appliances include:
- Open your fridge less. The less you open it, the less energy it loses trying to keep things cold.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. Your laundry detergent does the cleaning, not the water temperature!
- Keep your oven closed while baking. Use the oven light to peek in, but keep the door closed and the heat inside.
- Let your dishes air dry instead of using the heated dry option on your dishwasher.
As you get in the habit of being more energy efficient, you’re sure to find even more ways to save energy and optimize appliance efficiency as you go along.
If you need help with appliance repairs or have questions about appliance energy efficiency, call the team at Morris County Appliance Repair today. We’re your go-to appliance repair experts serving Rockaway, Chatham, and the greater Morris County area. We have over 50 years of combined experience and our customer service is second to none. We do all our work in-house and we are licensed and insured for your peace of mind. Morris County Appliance Repair—You Can Count On Us!