Buying a new fridge, but can’t decide if you should get one with the freezer on top or on the bottom? This is a common conundrum among homeowners. One is more efficient and budget-friendly; the other is more convenient and stylish.
Which do you choose?!
In this blog post, we’ll highlight the pros and cons of both options. This will help inform your decision. However, it’s ultimately up to you to choose based on your lifestyle, budgetary constraints, and design preferences.
So, with all that being said, let’s take a look at top freezers and bottom freezers!
Freezer on Top
- Budget-friendly: For whatever reason, the design and construction of top-freezer models makes these refrigerators at least a few hundred dollars cheaper than their counterparts.
- Energy-efficient: Refrigerators with top-freezers use between 10% and 25% less energy than bottom-freezers, according to the U.S. Department of Energy.
- More functional space: In this type of fridge, the freezer doesn’t require as much insulation near the vents or special drawers for organization, so it has more space that can actually be used for storage.
- Not the most hip: This doesn’t mean the freezer-on-top style is unattractive! It’s just a more traditional look, so you won’t get the “wow” factor that you would with a more chic model.
Freezer on Bottom
- Better organization: Bottom-freezer units usually come with fun baskets and drawers that help make the storage space as functional as possible.
- Convenient: The freezer’s placement on the bottom means the refrigerator portion is front and center. With it being eye-level, you can see everything inside your fridge without having to scrunch down.
- Expensive: As is always the rule, the latest and hippest styles cost more. With a freezer-on-bottom fridge, you’re going to pay at least hundreds of dollars more, if not thousands (for the ultra-elite packages).
Again, it all comes down to your priorities and preferences. If you prefer a budget-friendly option with a conventional look, then the freezer-on-top style is a smart choice for you. However, if you’re willing to pay extra for a sleek, stylish model that gives you a little more convenience, then you should go with the freezer-on-bottom style.
Have any other questions about refrigerators and/or freezers? Reach out to Morris County Appliance Service! We’re here to help.