If your refrigerator’s ice maker is not keeping up with demand, you may be able to fix it without having to schedule a service call. If these do-it-yourself approaches do not produce the desired results, don’t hesitate to give us a call at Morris County Appliance Repair. We have the experience to isolate the cause of your ice maker problems and get it working at full capacity quickly.
Easy Fixes for a Slow Ice Maker
Whether you entertain frequently or just go through a lot of ice cubes, a slow-working ice maker can be frustrating! While we’re always available to help you with appliance repairs, we recommend that you first try these troubleshooting tips.
We wouldn’t advise that you take your ice maker apart or try to replace parts on your own, but you might want to give these quick and easy strategies a try:
- Check the waterline. If the tube that carries water to your ice maker is kinked or restricted in any way, it could easily slow down the production of ice cubes.
- Replace the water filter periodically. This helps keep your water clean and your ice maker working properly.
- Keep the freezer door closed longer. Frequently checking to see how your ice maker is working is self defeating because it raises the temperature and makes it harder to maintain optimal ice-making conditions.
- Make sure the “sweep arm” can move freely. You may have noticed a little plastic piece in the back of your ice maker bin that stops ice production when the bin gets full. If that arm is frozen in place or obstructed, it could be signaling your ice maker to stop making ice. Gently removing accumulated ice or anything else that’s in the way could enable the ice maker to start churning out ice cubes again.
- Keep the freezer temperature well below freezing (32 degrees Fahrenheit). Generally, the colder the temperature, the faster your ice cubes will freeze. If you know how to adjust your settings, make sure the freezer is set between 0 and 5 degrees.
- Keep your freezer at least half stocked. Although it’s inadvisable to pack your freezer to the hilt, too much empty space makes it more difficult for the unit to maintain the desired low temperature for making ice.
Call Us for Ice Maker Repair Help!
If those troubleshooting strategies don’t do the trick, call us right away at Morris County Appliance Repair. We’ll be sure to get to the bottom of your ice maker difficulties and resolve the problem as soon as possible!